█ Purpose of competition
This is an international ideas competition to establish a design for the Busan Opera House. The design will be based on a variety of ideas from both domestic and foreign specialists, as well as student groups. The opera house will include a variety of facilities that will foster a wide range of artistic activities all the while being accessible to the city’s citizens. The grand scale of this project will be suitable for Busan's status as an international city.
█ Competition site
The site for the International Ideas Competition for the Busan Opera House is seated in the marine cultural region inside the re-development district in the northern seaport, Junggu, Busan, Korea. The site area for competition is 34,928㎡ out of the marine culture district’s total area of 137,640㎡.
• The promoter for this competition is, Busan Metropolitan City, S. Korea
• Provisional announcement of competition: April 10, 2011
• Official announcement of competition: April 25, 2011
• Registration: April 25, 2011, 10:00AM -May 25, 2011, 5:00PM (GMT+9)
• Questions/inquiries: May 11, 2011 - May 20, 2011
• Answers to inquiries: May 25, 2011 (Will be posted on the website)
• Deadline for entry submission: August 3, 2011, 5:00PM (GMT+9)
• Announcement of final jury decision: August 12, 2011
• Registration fee: 100 US Dollar (120,000 Korean Won)
A. Student Group
• Any student who specialized in architecture can participate as a single or team entry.
B. Professional Group
• Any architecture license holder can participate in the public competition as an individual or a team member.
█ Prizes and awards
A) Student competition: first prize (1 work), second prize (3 works), third prize (10 works), Honorary Mention (10 works)
B) Professional competition: first prize (5 works), second prize (5 works), Honorary Mention (10 artworks)
█ Prize money
A) Student group
1st prize: US Dollar 5,000, 2nd prize: US Dollar 3,000 each,
3rd prize: US Dollar 1,000 each, Honorary mention: prize no money
B) Professional group:
1st prize US Dollar 30,000 each, 2nd prize US Dollar 10,000, Honorary
mention: prize no money